Here Are 9 Tips For Maintaining a Up-to-date Website in Today’s Online Environment
By Jeff George
If you are concerned with whether or not your website looks up-to-date, here are 9 tips to consider when maintaining a up-to-date and healthy website.
- Bios – Is your photograph current? Does your picture look like you? If you are meeting a prospective client whose only previous experience of you comes from your website bio, then you don’t want to be giving them any nasty surprises! (if you require a photographer we can help)
- Ensure your People pages are up to date (and if somebody is leaving remind them to update their LinkedIn profile as nobody else can do it for them, (at least not without the login details).
- Trust Icons – If you won the Law Firm of the Year at the American Legal Awards in 2009 and proudly displayed your winners badge on your home page, that is great. It doesn’t look so great if it’s still there in 2013 though. The same goes for any type of membership or accreditation. Make sure these trust icons are up to date or take them off.
- Content – It sounds obvious, but ensure that your content is up to date and aligned with current accepted best practices and that you have kept pace with regulatory changes and changes to the legal landscape.
- Responsiveness – More and more people are searching on the go. Your website needs to be optimized for mobile and tablet. Unless your site was created or updated in the last couple of years the chances are that it’s not responsive.
- Images – Has your website had the same homepage image for the last five years? This (along with old content) gives the impression of your website (and business) being static. Google does not like static websites and neither will visitors.
- Contact details – Again, this sounds obvious, but make sure your contact details are up to date. If you had to close a satellite office but didn’t remove it from your website and a prospective client pitches up there for a meeting and finds a McDonald’s instead, well, you can imagine.
- Call to action buttons – Are you providing your target audience with the means to contact you that is most appropriate to them? Does your website have, for example, a free phone number? An online inquiry form? A dedicated email address? You know your audience better than anybody, make sure you make contacting you very easy for them.
Click to Contact Us
- Testimonials – It’s important to keep adding new testimonials to your site as this is a great way to build trust with prospective clients. If a visitor comes to your site after a six month lapse and views the same testimonials as the last time they visited then that can look lazy, or worse still, give off the impression that you haven’t completed any work worthy of a testimonial in the past 6 months!